Last updated on October 26th, 2017 at 02:17 pm
The FDA has set the date for regulations on tobacco products. Right now that includes e-cigarettes.
Does that mean they will be safer when regulations have passed?
Here are some of the facts and answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.
Will Vapor Products Be Safer After FDA Regulations Go Into Effect?
On May 5th, 2016 the US Food and Drug Administration (F.D.A.) set their deeming regulations on e-cigarettes to go into effect after 90 days. The submission date has since been extended to August, 2022.
“Going into effect” means that all companies selling tobacco products (and ecig products) manufactured after 2007 would need to file extensive reports with the FDA to obtain authorization to market their products.
If you’re considering switching from tobacco cigarettes to e-cigs, but you're waiting to buy an FDA approved e-cigarette, I suggest you don’t hold your breath.
According to the FDA, the regulation focus is now on preventing “nicotine addiction”. Cigarette manufacturers are freaking, because the agency has suggested that the nicotine levels in traditional tobacco cigarettes must be reduced.
Although there is talk about prohibiting the sale of e-liquid flavors, (and that is being hotly debated), there's little indication that e-cigarettes will become “safer” or that industry hardware standards will change dramatically after regulations become final.
The good news is that ecigarettes are being recognized as a safer alternative to smoking, and the FDA is viewing scientific reports confirming that fact.
Here’s What Scientific Studies Have Already Shown:
1- Public Health England (PHE) has confirmed that electronic cigarettes are at least 95% and no less than 99% safer than combustible (tobacco) cigarettes.
2- Regarding e-liquid safety:
- The chemicals diacetyl and acetylcholine have been removed from e-liquid formulas by the most pro-active (and best) e-liquid manufacturers.
- Formaldehyde content in e-liquids has been a concern and will be addressed. Previous sensational news reports about dangerous levels of formaldehyde and the presence of anti-freeze in e-liquids have already been discredited by scientists and other industry experts.
- Child-proof bottles, are now becoming the industry standard.
3- Battery safety is a key concern. The best vaporizer models now have safety features such as automatic shutoff which prevents overheating and thermal runaway – events that could lead to battery failure and explosions.
4- Regarding underage vaping laws. There are currently zero U.S. States that permit the sale of vaping products to those under 18 years of age, so that particular FDA regulation is already in effect.
The bottom line regarding ecig safety is to do your homework. Buy now, but don’t buy inferior products or knock-offs (clones) and always follow the product directions.
Will There Be Problems Before and After FDA Regulations Go Into Effect?
- The good news is that you’ll still be able to purchase all your favorite vapor products.
- Vape Companies can continue to introduce innovative, safer and more user-friendly products.
- If FDA regulations go into effect as written, the prohibited costs of to suppliers may cause the majority of vapor companies to go out of business, leaving only the big tobacco owned ecig companies, (such as Green Smoke and Vuse) who are known for product lines that are inferior and lacking in innovation.
- There may or may not be changes made to the flavors or nicotine levels in e-liquids.The FDA is now reviewing scientific evidence regarding e-cigarette effectiveness as well as youth smoking and vaping.
- Here's a recent report on Youth Tobacco Use from the Center for Tobacco Products. The chart indicates a recent decline in both vaping and smoking.
In the meantime, the number of adults choosing to vape rather than smoke continues to grow. New data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that more than 9 million adults vape regularly in the United States. The 2016 ASH.org report stated an estimated 2.8 million adults in Great Britain currently use electronic cigarettes.
Find more of his reviews on Cloud Nine Ecig & Health Reviews and Best E-Cigarette Guide.
Latest posts by Dan S. (see all)
- Vaporfi Ecigs Announces Permanent Price Reductions - April 18, 2017
- The Best Fourth of July Sales for Ecigs and ELiquids - July 1, 2016
- Will E-Cigarettes Be Safer After Regulations Take Effect? - June 13, 2016